In PopTag!, games take place in a two-dimensional, square-shaped environment called a map (Korean: 맵; rr: Maep). Maps consist of square tiles, and they are 15 tiles wide by 13 tiles high. Maps may contain various features, including blocks, items, enemies, water balloons, and, of course, characters. Maps can be selected by the Host player in Rooms. Hosts may also select from several Random map options.
Characteristics of maps
- Theme: Maps have differently-themed environments, such as Village, Ice, Desert, and Forest. Some items and features are unique to certain themes. In addition, some themes feature "Mission Wins", which can be achieved by performing unconventional tasks.
- Number: This refers to the map's number in its themed series.
- Maximum players: This refers to the maximum number of players that a map will allow. The limit will always be 8 players or lower.
- Minimum level: Only Hosts of the specified level may select a certain map.
- Difficulty: Map difficulty is assessed on a five-star rating, with five being most difficult. In Monster Mode, defeating more difficult maps rewards players with more Lucci and possibly Experience.
- Hot: Very popular maps may gain the "Hot" status. Only Hot maps are playable in Ladder. There is also a "Hot Random" map option in certain versions of PopTag!.
- Extreme: Some maps, featuring gimmicks, unusual designs, or other "extreme" qualities, may have the prefix "Ex-" added to their theme names. For example, an Extreme Village would be categorized under "ExVillage". Extreme maps may only be selected by Hosts with an Imperial Card.
- Size: Originally in earlier versions of Crazy Arcade, there was a size classification for maps. All maps had the dimensions 15 x 13, however, and eventually the classification was removed from the game.